Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Soapbox

I'm not usually very vocal about politics. I prefer to stay out of the boxing ring. However, this post isn't really about politics. It's about respect.

As we announced the election results to our children this morning, Jacob was a little disappointed. (We didn't train him to support one candidate or the other; he made up his own mind, based on his 7-year-old interpretation of the issues. Really the only thing he was concerned about was taxes. Not sure why - he doesn't pay them!) Anyway, Marty and I explained that no matter what candidate we voted for yesterday, we support the new president 100%, because we respect him and the office he will hold. And we respect the election process and are grateful to be a part of it. We will move forward with the attitude What can I do to help?

There is too much criticism, faultfinding, and disrespect in this nation, and too little optimism, humility, and unity. Yes, we have the right to disagree with policies and positions, and as a family, we will do our best to support those issues we believe in. But we will not badmouth those who are chosen to lead us. We love this country, and want our children to grow up to be positive contributors to it, even when not everything goes their way. (Because really, what are the odds of that?)

Okay, that's it. I'll get off my soapbox now and go clean the kitchen. Because that is how I can best contribute at the moment.

2 comments:

Leah Marie said...

Amen sister!

Brittany Roscheck said...

Very well said. It really is about what we can do now. Mike said a similar thing yesterday and I was so thankful for it. I love that Jacob is already so concerned with taxes. Such a wonderful boy. Much love to you all.